The Research Publication Grant is awarded by the DHS annually to assist those engaged in design history research with the publication of their research in research-based outputs, such as peer-reviewed journal articles or books published by an academic press or museum institution. The grant can be used to assist with the following costs for publications solely or collaboratively authored or edited by the applicant:
- Cost of reproduction and permission clearance to use copyrighted images in publications
- Production subvention costs issued by the publisher
- Payment to individuals (not the author or editor) for proofreading and/or indexing of publications
A total of £3,000 is awarded annually for the Research Publication Grant. This sum is divided amongst several applications deemed of high merit, at the discretion of a judging panel drawn from the DHS Executive Committee. Parts of a request might be funded and others rejected. The total project budget may be of any size, but individual applicant's funding requests cannot exceed £1,000. Applicants are required to give as detailed and evidenced a budget as possible. Grants will not be considered to cover retrospective costs that have already been incurred and paid for.
A full description of the award, including eligibility, assessment criteria and all other details can be found in the Guidance Notes in the right hand column. The Research Publication Grant is only open to DHS members.
We wish to remind our applicants that;
- the DHS is committed to supporting equalities and therefore invites applicants to reflect on and state clearly how their proposed projects address inequalities.
- the DHS is also committed to addressing sustainability issues and invites applicants to state how their project has been shaped with an environmentally-conscious approach (in relation to travel, participation and use of resources).
Student submissions are not eligible; students are encouraged to apply for the Student Research Access Award.
Please send your completed application form by 15 January via email to DHS administrator: email@example.com.
All applicants will be notified of the outcome of their submission within 6 weeks of the application deadline.